Friday, November 2, 2007

Robert W. Merritt

Today would have been my dad's birthday.

My husband always laughed when my dad looked at someone and said, "Well! There is an individual thinkier!" As my dad aged, he mellowed seeing the good in all people. I tried to scan some more pictures of him in, but the I am having technical difficulties and not lots of time. So, I thought I'd list a few folk that I saw today who were individual thinkers. Sometimes, I wonder if when I see these unique people if my dad is indirectly talking to me telling me to love ALL of God's people ~

My younger son got the first award. It was cold on the way to school. We just HAVE to bike. He wore a balaclava over his helmet to stay warm. The funny thing is he was wearing cargo shorts!

The neighbors have lots of drivers. They don't park their cars in the driveway but out on the street across from our driveway. It can make it a bit cumbersome to get out. I guess they want to keep us on our toes and not hit their cars on the way out.

I had to take the Pilot in for service. The Honda salesmen were huddled outside waiting for the next "guest" interested in buying a car. i had to smile because it was chilly outside. The salesmen without a coat did not dare show that they were cold. If you are immune to cold weather, does that make you a better car salesman?

The high school just got out of school and there were cars all over the place. It appeared like total chaos. Parents were slowing down for their kids to hop in. Again, this is the way of the individual thinker. Traffic gets worse. But, the kid gets in and doesn't have to ride the bus or wait in the pick up line. Go Figure!

I am all in favor of thinking out of the box. I just have the hardest time when it is my own two boys trying to think OUTSIDE MY box! I appreciate the perspective my dad gave me. Thanks, dad! Keep pointing them out and tapping me on the shoulder from heaven!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Merritt!!! I never knew this about your dad, nor did I know that our birthdays were so close! He's absolutely right! But what did he say about annoying people??

Becky said...

It took him years and a heart attack to learn any patience. I had the pleasure of spending lots of time with him post-heart. I think my memories are quite a bit different than my sibling's.