Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tunica, Mississippi


On Friday afternoon, my son, a fellow swimmer and I made the trek to Tunica, Mississippi. But, not for the reason most folks go to Tunica. We were headed for a swim meet at the Tunica Aquatic Center. All that gambling money funded a beautiful swimming pool with a diving pit. The unfortunate thing is that Tunica is out in the middle of nowhere and the facility just doesn't get used the way it should. We'd love to have a pool like that in our community.

Anyway, we were driving down the road as the sun was setting over the Mississippi River. You can't see the river, but the sun was gorgeous - as well as the sunset. My son snapped this photo from the car. He tried to take some more minus the power lines, but one was blurry and another one had a truck in the way. This is delta country. The land is very flat harvesting lots of cotton. In the median and on the shoulders, there were clumps of cotton as if it blew off the bushes.

The beautiful sunset caught me for just a minute and took me away from all the demands of the day. In just minutes, it was dark and the night continued on...

1 comment:

Bethany said...

How was the meet?? It's fun to see different parts of the country. I don't think I've ever been to Mississippi!