Monday, November 26, 2007

Wonderful Weekend

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoyed the days off. This is the first time in many years that we have not traveled during the week of Thanksgiving. We missed the beach and the roar of the ocean. But, we enjoyed just kicking back and relaxing.

We celebrated Thanksgiving with my in-laws that are here in the area. My sister-in-law hosted. The meal was fabulous. The table looked beautiful. I brought my camera but forgot to take any pictures. The boys had a great time playing football outside, playing king of the hill and ending the night with a round of pool inside. They wish we could have a pool table - just don't have a room that will accommodate that!

I did not brave the crowds in the wee hours of the morning on Friday. My husband decided to work. He got up really early heading into the office. The boys and I did a little bit of shopping using up old gift cards they had. And, we stopped in Target buying some inexpensive DVDs they had. We have lots of movies to watch. I did start our holiday list. We crossed a few off buying things on the internet. I am so thankful for the web. It makes those faraway gifts easy to give!

My husband and I watched the movie, Sicko. It is definitely thought provoking. We are thankful that we have good medical insurance, but it begs to question if that will be enough. The movie is one all should see just to open our eyes to the things that need to be fixed in our health care system. It is very disturbing. I did not come away with any answers just awareness of some of the issues.

With the family we watched Evan Almighty. It was well received and poignant for this time of the year. If you have time to squeeze it in before the holidays, do it. There are some humorous lines and it made me think about my behavior.

We watched lots of football. The SEC and others had some nail biting games. I won't mention the Commodores! We have to cheer them on during basketball. While the football was on, I started some more knitting projects. One involves felting which I have never done and can't wait to see how it turns out. My list of projects for gifts has gotten quit long. I just have to keep knitting away...much to the chagrin of my husband. The boys need some new flannel or fleece pj pants. How hard can those be to make? I hope to make it to the fabric store today or tomorrow scoping it out. And, the Christmas cards remain an idea in my head. I keep searching and have not hit the nail on the head. I want to production of the cards to be reasonable. Trying to balance that and affordability can be a challenge. I need to focus on those today and tomorrow too.

At the end of this week is the Madrigal. That means lots of extra performances for me. I am excited for it and will be glad when this week is behind me. The Christmas parade is Friday night. The boys are planning a get-together here with friends minus me:( Oh! Well! I'll be singing and won't be able to join them. I get to clean the house for them!!!

Gotta get cracking on my list...

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Sounds like you did have a great time! I have wanted to see Sicko but haven't yet. We watched Freedom Writers about a young teacher (Hilary Swank) who makes a difference in her class's lives in South Beach, CA where they are all part of gangs. It was a true story and I think I cried through most of it!!! (That's the teacher in me!) I was also wondering when your singing group starts and this is the weekend!!! (I think I did know that.) Back to homework, but I did want to check in!