Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cycling Safety

A prominent US cyclist, David Zabriskie, started an initiative, Yield to Life, to increase cycling awareness promoting the protection of cyclists as well as safe cycling. It makes lots of sense covering the cyclists responsibility and the driver's responsibility.

My husband is an avid cyclist. He was hit by a car last spring. Fortunately, he did not suffer any injuries. His type of hit even has a special name in bike-speak. It is that common. I, of course, can't remember what the term is. He was minding his own business riding 20 mph down a flat, six lane road, in the right hand lane. A car sped up and turned right right in front of him. The driver assumed he was turning. It was not a turning lane. He was peddling his tail off with his arms down in the drops. I wonder what gave her the impression he was turning?? There was an angel sitting on his shoulder that morning. Someone was looking out for the driver too. My husband wiped himself up off the blacktop, checked himself out and was okay. The driver was an absolute mess!! Her mental state was enough punishment - in my husband's eyes. He did buy a new helmet, re-wrapped the handle bars and had the bike checked out. It was his lucky day.

In the last few days, I have thought about doing a family biking trip this summer. They range from luxury on wheels to just your set of wheels. I am intrigued by the rides across states. I just don't know. That is way out of my comfort zone riding a bike for 5-7 consecutive days. I am pretty sure the little boys could do their share. I just don't know about the mom. I am going to research it a bit more and see what we come up with. The rides are on roads albeit roads less traveled. The bike safety would be paramount with the boys.

It sure would be great way to make sure I was out there riding everyday!!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Wow, I didn't know David got hit. We have a lot of cyclists around here, especially on my road which twists and turns. Drivers are definately not safe on it so my kids only ride back on the walking paths. I saw someone on the side of the road right after they were hit and he wasn't bouncing back... very scary!!!