Saturday, January 5, 2008

Christmas - Come and Gone!

I can hardly believe my last post was on 12/18! The time has flown by filled with wonderful memories, good food and many Blessings. We are getting ready to get back into the real routine. The kids start back to school on Monday and we will be off and running.

I thought I'd share some highlights from the last couple of weeks ~

We made the trek to Grandma's house. I spent one evening trying to teach mom and kids to knit. It was a classic as mom only crochets. Next time we will have her teach the boys to do that!

We spent Christmas Eve with my family. We missed Rick and his family as they were skiing in Colorado. We continue to keep them in our prayers that in 2008 they may find healing from the loss of baby Loden.


The highlight of the road trip was mass on Christmas Day. We went back to the little church we were married in. The pastor is the man who married us. He is one of a kind and a tradition we have kept alive for 16 years. We aren't the only ones who come back to that church. There were lots of folks there from various places. Fr. Schappelle makes a point of recognizing each one. We always wait for our recognition. He tells the parishioners that there are two among us that were born at St. Luke's in Bethlehem. He waits for the reaction before stating Bethlehem, PA! Gotta love it!

We drove home on Christmas Day evening in record time. Santa got our letter and came a night late. We celebrated our Christmas on the 26th. The boys had a wonderful time opening presents. I fell short and had to wrap up the scarf for my husband - not finished! He opened the knitting needles and all! Fortunately, he still loves me and is still waiting for the scarf.


We continued the break with a visit from David's sister and family. They live outside of Philadelphia. She had not been home for quite some time. The cousins enjoyed the time together as did the family.

We celebrated my mother-in-law's 75th birthday on New Year's Eve. She was thrilled to have so much of the family with her. My sister-in-law made a wonderful carrot cake. I still have to get the recipe. We toasted to the New Year a few hours early as we were all such party animals! The boys and I watched the ball drop on Eastern Standard time and then again on Central Time!

Next, my sister and her family visited. The boys played and played. We took in a University of Memphis basketball game. It was fun to watch as they are ranked 2nd in the nation! It would have been more fun to watch those 'Dores, but they don't play here:( We grabbed some burgers before the game at a local place. The food is great and you get to shoot toothpicks on the ceiling. Whoever thought that up did not realize how much fun kids could have with it!




My sister et al left yesterday. The peanut had a basketball game and Pumpkin went to swim practice. Today, the boys each have a friend over and are taking advantage of the last bit of day light playing football. It was pretty cloudy all day, but the cold weather has moved on with the high of 70 today and tomorrow! We'll be riding our bikes to school!

I finished up lots of knitting projects. I think I made about a dozen pair of slippers as gifts this holiday season. I still have about three more pairs that I'd like to send to friends. I do have the knitting bug and my list of things I want to try keeps getting longer. I finally opened up the Sock book I got in early December. I think I may try to tackle a pair of socks. I am so intrigued by the self-striping yarn. We'll see what the New Year brings!!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Wow! It was fun to see all the photos, especially of family! Becky-- you look gorgeous! I just love that haircut on you!!!
And your Christmas Day Mass sounded wonderful...such a great tradition to share. I didn't realize David had a sister up this way too! And that picture of him with the knitting...priceless!! :))