Thursday, January 31, 2008

Freedom Train

Today I went with my third grader on a field trip to see Freedom Train. The children got to travel in style on chartered buses! It was wonderful. Apparently the school buses' schedules are so tight that is makes it hard to use them for a field trip. It cost a bit more, but it was well worth it.

The weather here is just about freezing and we've had our share or rain. We weren't sure we'd get to go, but we did!

Theatreworks travels around the country putting on these plays. I really liked this story. The set was minimal creatively using pieces in different ways capturing your imagination. I learned some interesting facts about the underground railroad. This may be one of the first times I have really paid attention to the text in the spirituals that the slaves sung. It is very moving.

It was a good show. My only complaint was the sound was turned up high making the audio very loud. I am not sure how much my son got out of the show. I'll have to ask more questions this evening when he gets home from school. Watching the performance made me want to go rent Roots and watch that again. We went to the Freedom Center in Cincinnati when it opened a few years ago. It is worth a visit. I know that slavery, in different forms, still exists in parts of the world. My prayer is for freedom!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

That sounds really interesting! We've not been to the Freedom Center yet in Cincy. We have some friends who's home has underground tunnels leading to a creek that they used to hide slaves back then. It gave me the chills when they told me about it!