Thursday, January 10, 2008

Library Stop

A few days ago, I stopped into the library to get a collection of science fair books. Yes! It is that time of the year and science fair projects need to start coming to fruition for our resident 7th grader. I am not a big fan of the projects. When I was in 7th or maybe 8th grade, I was a rebel. I remember doing some sort of project on density and presenting the poster to the class. Participation in the science fair was optional. But, the teacher put so much weight on participation, lots of kids did it to raise their grade. I had the luxury of resting on my laurels. My grade was high enough that I'd keep my A without doing the silly science fair. I could not understand standing next to a poster talking about a something most people already knew.

Now, I have a science minded brain and do not think all science fairs are silly. I was even a judge for a science fair at Lehigh University. That was interesting!

As of late, I think the projects have gone over the top. The kids should have to participate, but with limitations. They should not be allowed to spend a dime on supplies. They should be creative enough to use what extras are around the house. Who really cares if the project is on a science board or on an old cardboard box? They should think to change something in their everyday lives - the toothpaste taste, the chlorine smell, the wobbling chair leg. The scientific method can be applied to just about everything. All you need to do is ask a question and change some variables observing the impact. I think I am out there with my idea of science fairs. I think they should be very simple enabling the student to do it all. How do you explain the high school winners with projects the average person can not even pronounce? I remember one from last year was on eyeballs. Where did the student have to go to do that? And, how much did the student really do? Again, I digress from the topic of the post.

I got the science fair books and I got some books for myself. I have been quite busy with the knitting and did not want a good story to interfere. Now, I have interference!

This book by Connolly has to have cupcakes for all. I am thinking about some sort of dinner cupcake. Wouldn't that make them smile?!

I've seen this book in the stores and it looks like a relatively easy read.

This one we saw when we were out West this summer. It looks like a slower read but very insightful into the wine industry. There were some sales of private wineries while we were there. Interesting!

I know I won't get them all read within the two week limit, but I love the excitement a book can generate. Just having them here and knowing that I can squeeze in some time to read is a thrill. I have still have the endless knitting to do. I'll have to work that in around a few pages! And, I will have to monitor the science fair progress!!! Yipee!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I do not even remember the Science Fair in Middle School! I guess I must have sat that one out or I did some poster on anatomy which was always my favorite. I did do a poster on Trilobites in 6th grade! Now when I see one, I think ...6th grade poster! I just got a stack of books too... as if I think I'm really going to finish them quickly. I can't just get one at a time...and they were all influenced by other bloggers. It's dangerous to the wallet out here!!!