Sunday, February 10, 2008

Best Day Ever per Buddy

I had the best day ever in the short 2+ years that I have been alive. My family took me to the dog park at Shelby Farms. The weather was beautiful just a bit nippy. The sky was blue and the sun was shining.


They loaded me into the back of the wagon. What? I never ride back here. I'll show them. As soon as the car was rolling, I slid over the seats to the front taking my spot between Pumpkin and Peanut. I did not know where we were going. The last time I was in the car, I ended up at the kennel. My family brought water, towels, bags, a leash, and the chuck-it. They don't normally bring those things when I get boarded. Where could we be off to?

It seemed like it took forever to get there as they weren't quite sure where we had to go. I got out of the car and the smells were amazing!

We walked about hundred yards to open fields. The smells just got better and better! I was still on my leash and not quite sure what we were going to do.


Then, they unsnapped my leash. I was free! The tennis ball went flying across the field and I barreled after it. It was wonderful.

I kept running and retrieving the ball catching it in my mouth off the bounce. Occassionally, I had to take a breather and wander over to some bushes in order to leave my mark. I had to let the others know that I was here!

I felt a freedom I had never felt. I loved running with the boys and explored with them.


We made our way over the crest of the hill and there were more dogs! They were all running around too! I've lived a pretty wonderful life, but have not had the opportunity to socialize with other four-legged creatures. We all did the sniff thing to say hello. Even though it was cold out, I wanted to go swimming. I was in control of that tennis ball at all times, but those other dogs were interested too.


I just kept running and running. I met a standard poodle puppy. She was a doll! A chocolate lab out-sprinted me to my tennis ball, but he let me have it. Boy! He ran fast. As we were making our way toward the car, two Great Danes came over to say hello. I could almost walk under them. They were big but they were nice.


I did not want to leave! I sulked in the back of the wagon as we headed for home. My family has been talking about a new car for some time. I did hear them say something about a Honda Element. They said that it would be perfect for taking me on trips like this. I would love that, but aren't they those sort of ugly box cars?

Okay! I had a great day. I have to admit it was all about ME! That is until my family stopped at TCBY for a treat. I got to wait in the car. I was very sad. And, they did not come out with anything for me. I am the one who ran circles around everyone else. What's up with that? I do hope they decide to brush me soon. My hairdo is a bit wild after all the excitement I've had!


We were pleasantly surprised with Buddy's behavior today. He has never been in contact with so many dogs. He was great. We know he love it. He was just bouncing around with a great big smile on his snout. We were a little leary about the swimming as it was cold outside. He did not seem to mind. He was even thinking about chasing some ducks on the other side of the lake. How do you explain to a dog that that is a warm weather activity? Not to mention that the ducks will fly away! We will take him back. I just have to get a Bounce sheet in the car to get rid of the wet dog smell. It would be a welcomed addition to our Sunday routine. If you have one of these parks near you, take your dog and go have some fun!!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

That was so much fun to read!!! Buddy looked like he had a ball! I was just thinking how "clean" he looked in the first pictures and then he went into the water! We are lucky to have big fields right behind our yard and Ellie has some favorite friends we let her play with off leash....though they've not been out much this winter! (p.s. Honda Elements are cool!)

yvette said...

What a cutie, hhmmmm, wet dog smell, my favourite ;0)