Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Buddy Blues


When we greeted Buddy on Sunday morning, we found a "present" in his cage. He is more than two years old and we thought we were past the days of needlessly eating things in the house. As a puppy, he preferred socks! Anyway, the weather was hit and miss last week. It was quite hard to get all the exercise in he needs. He was a bit rambunctuous one day and I saw him trotting out of the play room. He came when I called and I did not think any more about it - until we saw him Sunday morning. He had eaten a little stuffed teddy bear about 3 inches long. Fortunately, he gave it back to us in his cage - all but the head. What damage could the head do? In addition, I had given him a bone later in the week to entertain him. That compounded with the remains of the bear did not bode well for Bud. He was sort of a slug on Sunday and he was a total slug on Monday. By Monday evening, my husband was beginning to wonder how many stuffed animals he ate!

Isn't if funny that we want them to be calm, but when they are calm due to not feeling well, we don't like that?! This morning he greeted me with a big tail wag. He ate and is now outside barking at a neighbor's recycle container. Why? Because the container is in a different place. He is a dog of order and lets us know when things are out of order. We went for an abbreviated walk this morning and he seems to be doing pretty well. We'll cross our fingers and hope our Buddy is on the mend. I toiled with taking him to the vet. I was going to give it until today before I took him in. It looks like I made the right call on that one.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Poor Buddy! I was chuckling at the comment about being a dog of order! We just had a similiar experience because Ellie isn't getting enough play time outside too. But she decided to start chewing on the carpeting at the doorway of Nathaniel's bedroom!!! Luckily I stopped her before there was more than a nickel sized hole! Hopefully spring will get here sooner than later and we can stop worrying about what she'll chew up next!