Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cork Recycling

We have a GREEN page-a-day calendar this year. One of the items from a day last week was the recycling of the cork from wine bottles. I know that lots of folks are very creative finding other uses for the corks. Check out this site. You can save up your corks and send them (Fedex, of course) to this company. They have really care about that oak cork tree. The cork tiles just might look nice on our bathroom floor that was supposed to be tiled two years ago. Ha! Why does life get in the way? I enjoyed the poem about wine and the cork. It is a celebration and we all need to do what we can to preserve Earth. Back on that crafty note, I'd love to see what the kids have created with the non-cork material sent to the teacher recycling center.

I am going to designate a container to collect the corks putting it right next to the bag collecting BoxTops and soda tabs! It may take some time to gather a shipment as we don't drink as much wine as we'd like:) Life and kids seem to get in the way!

Just a technical note- I figured out the html to change the color of the word green. The little things that thrill me! I just wish I had more time to explore all of this. But, real life and the grocery store are calling my name. Can you hear them?

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I never really thought about recycling wine corks. I think that company is great! But I also remember trying to take down a whole wall of cork in one of mom's old houses and it was a total mess! I swore I would never, ever use cork in any house! Floor tiles might be a better option. And I hope you're able to enjoy a good bottle of wine soon!! We just try to make one last as long as possible!!!