Friday, February 15, 2008

The Reason I Do It

At the beginning of the school year, I started something. I encouraged my younger son to ride his bike to school. We are on the bus route, but I thought it would be great to get up and go on our bikes. We are only one mile from school. We have to cross a fairly busy four lane road. So, I have to ride TO and FRO with him. In theory it is a great idea. My son loves to ride his bike. Now. There aren't any other options. In pouring down rain, I have to beg him to hop in the car for the quick trip to school. When I am feeling selfish, it is not so good either as it uses up some of my precious "free" time. Anyway, I do it. I am sure I get a tiny bit of cardio and my heart is thanking me. Deep down, I do it for Peanut thankful he gets so much out of it.

This morning, I got additional confirmation as to why I do do this. I was looking down watching my sweatpants leg. I did not want it to get caught in the chain. Peanut said softly to me, "Look at that!" as he was pointing to his right. There in the next yard was a hawk of some sort. Just its body was about 8-10 inches. I saw the bird, but did not see what the bird had. Peanut saw it all. The bird had a smaller bird in its talons. The hawk had gotten food for family or just food for himself. It was nature RIGHT in front of us. That is why I do it. Peanut gets to appreciate the little things while he is on his two wheels.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

:) That's really great! I'm thinking you should appreciate this while he still wants to... they'll probably be a time when he doesnt' anymore, or it won't be cool to ride with Mom anymore!! (I dread that time!)