Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Dinner

This is the one night of the year that I pull out the china, silver and crystal. What a difference a plate makes!

I was walking around the house trying to think of a vase for the roses. I remembered our Blenko water carafe. We got this a few summers ago in West Virginia. I love the way it looks with the flowers.

I decided we needed a sparkling wine to go with the meal. We enjoy the Prosecco wines on special occasions. As I was looking over the bottles, this one jumped out at me. It is from Italy. It is a Moscato di'Asti. I love the shape of the bottle too.

The wine had a nice fruity flavor. It has a little less alcohol in it and went down smoothly. It is an easy one to drink. All in all, it ended up being a little bit sweet for my tastes. I tend to keep migrating back to the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignons.
Pumpkin created the butter heart. Isn't is lovely?

Here is the meal. I have to say the mini crab cake on the salad and the string cut beets were not well received. I was trying to "spice" it up a bit. The rest of the food was pretty yummy.

The best part was the little ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins. I did not order it ahead of time and had to take what I could get. It was chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (not one my favorites) with chocolate cake. The cake itself was fabulous. I wonder what recipe they use. You can see Peanut's Valentine bag in the background. His class decorated these using them to collect their Valentine's in.

Hidden under each chair was a little Valentine. All the boys got books and I got a new pillow. I tried it out last night and the verdict is still out on whether or not it is a keeper. It has a unique odor that dissipates over time. It needs to go away quickly. I was impressed with the gift - thinking out of the box. My hubby makes the bed every morning and must have realized how bad my pillows were.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Your dinner looks delicious!!! I LOVE crab cakes... I'm coming over there next Valentine's Day!!
And I'm blown away that he makes the bed every day! You're so lucky. You'll have to let us know if that pillow works out because I've always wondered if they were comfortable.