Tuesday, September 4, 2007

THE Bike


I finally took the plunge. For the past many many years, I have been riding an upright, heavy, hybrid bike. My bike brought me many happy miles. But, it was getting old and it is very heavy. I need to be able to keep up with my family. I bought a new cyclocross bike. It is essentially a road bike, but has the ability to go on dirt paths. I liked that flexibility as we do ride on some trails and over boardwalks.

We loaded the bike and a new play bike for my oldest into the car adding to the four bikes we had brought with us. There were bikes and tires everywhere. For the drive back to home from Ohio, the boys were sitting very close to each other. They did not mind. They too were very excited that mom is graduating up to a road bike.

My husband is thrilled. He claims I just don't know what I am missing. He hopes I get to appreciate the love he has for cycling. We got it home and put the speedplay pedals on my bike. I have not ridden a bike where you have to "clip in" in order to ride it. I tried it out this morning just in the cove. I made a few rotations with both feet locked in place. This is where my issue with control comes into place. I don't want to fall, but have to learn how to get my feet out of the clips quickly. I hope to practice a bit each day. Before long, it should become second nature.

I'll keep you posted...

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Very cool! Is yours orange like the photo?? You've always been way braver than me!

Becky said...

The bike is the color in the photo. It is not a vibrant orange - more like butterscotch. I had a hard time with the color, but it is growing on me. I'm not sure I'd call it brave! I've got to keep practicing with the pedals before I even feel comfortable riding.