Friday, September 21, 2007

Ladders


What is it with ladders? The other morning I was cleaning the kitchen. I needed the step ladder to vacuum the dust above the cabinets and to clean the top of the refrigerator. When my younger son walked into the kitchen, he was thrilled to see the ladder and wanted to climb up it right away. I snapped the photo thinking I may be looking up to him some day. All he did was climb up, pose and climb back down. It put a big smile on his face. He was getting ready for school. Note the hair. It stays like that until he bikes to school. After he takes off his helmet, it is spray bottle and brush time!

Anyway, I remember as a kid being fascinated with ladders. My parents' hobby was a farm. The farm had about a dozen beef cattle that helped keep the fields mowed. Some fields were share-cropped growing corn and tobacco. One barn always had bales of hay in it. I was only three when my parents bought the farm. As I got older, I got to climb up the ladder into the hay and play around. As I got even older, I got to climb the ladder and throw the bales down. I remember that excitement when I'd walk into the barn and see the big extension ladder out.

When I was professionally employed, I got to climb ladders too. I did not mind the "normal" ones. But, the horizontal ladders on the side of storage tanks can get scary. The ladder on the side of a railcar is a bit scary too. You just don't realize how high the railcar is until you are standing on it. The railcar can rock too making it even more interesting. Don't worry. My safety was never in jeopardy. I worked for a company that followed all the procedures.

As I am writing this, I am thinking I need to pull the ladders out. In this house, ladders are associated with painting. And, we need to do some painting. Perhaps, that will be a project for next week and pictures may even make it to the blog!

P. S. - My husband is the only one tall enough to see over the top of the refrigerator. It made his day when he saw it sparkle!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Hee hee...I had to laugh about the top of the refrigerator! There's no one in my family that tall (until Nathaniel grows up!). I am afraid of heights...go figure. I guess I was tall enough for most things without a ladder! Craig changes all the lightbulbs in the ceiling lights!!