Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Inspirational


Today was the Jr. Beta induction at my older son's school. I had to admit I was a bit reluctant to go. I thought it would be just one of those boxes you check as a parent. Boy! Was I wrong. As part of the ceremony, they had two guest speakers. The first speaker was My Harrison, the FBI's Special Agent in Charge of the Memphis Field Office. This woman is very impressive. She spoke for about 15-20 reviewing her bio and talking about the FBI. She did not use notes and was a magnificent speaker. Everyone in the room was listening. At the end, she opened up for questions from the kids. She is living her dream and that feeling exudes from her. She stressed finding your dream and striving for it. I was envious. I am happy doing what I am doing right now. I feel the investment is worth the current commitment. Even so, I comtemplate what I am going to with my life when "I grow up." I hope the students got as much out of it as I did. Parts of her speech are presented in an interview with Road Nation a few years ago. The interview is about four minutes and well worth the listen.

The second speaker was the local leader of the Make-a-Wish Foundation. The Jr. Beta club sponsors children each year. It is just heart breaking to think of how these children are suffering. Make-a-Wish does a fantastic job providing the children with happiness.

I am glad I went to the induction. I found it very motivation and inspirational. We are proud of our son as he is laying the ground work for a bright future!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I have never heard of Jr. Beta. It sounds like a fantastic program. And you are doing something very important...more so than anything else you'll probably do the rest of your life!! Being your boys' mom has more impact on the world than most jobs. I love hearing that kids are being inspired to think about their futures in such a positive and exciting way!