Thursday, September 13, 2007

Steel Cut Oats


Steel Cut Oats are supposed to be good for you. And, from lots of testimony, they taste better than regular oatmeal. I decided to try them. I searched for a slow cooker recipe and mixed it all up last night. The house smelled great this morning as the scent of cinnamon made its way throughout. Unfortunately, the steel cut oats were not good. They were bland and not appetizing. My husband was the only one to brave a bowl full. I opted for my standard fruit and yogurt. I guess I will have to try making the steel cut oats on the stovetop. It will take planning as they cook for some time...

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I have a tin of them too, which I only cooked once. They taste best if you do them on the stove until they get softer. Throw in some dried apples or pecans and it gives it some different textures. I am guessing this is what "porridge" is in all those fairy tales!!!

Becky said...

I will try them on the stove. I have to think of some addition that everyone likes. I was hoping cinnamon and brown sugar would do the trick. I still have to clean the crock. I forgot to spray it before I dumped everything in. It is soaking and I am crossing my fingers that it comes clean quickly.

Bethany said...

I've heard that sticking a dryer sheet in the water helps take off baked on food...but I never tried it. I forgot that someone has nut allergies in your family too! sorry.