Monday, September 17, 2007

Hat Premiere

I've knit a few things in the past via the teach yourself method. It was cumbersome as I am left-handed. I ended up holding one needle between my legs. Go figure! Sheer determination got me through those projects.

I have wanted to learn the "right" way for some time. I finally started lessons last week at a nearby fiber shop. The owner is from Germany and has been knitting for years. In this beginner's class, I will learn to knit a hat. I am using circular needles knitting with the continental method. It is wonderful. I am still getting my rhythm down. The stitches vary in tension. But, I am hopeful it will all fall into place. You can see my progress. I need 7.5 inches of this until I get to move on to the next step.


I think this one may have to be for me. I love the color green and this was the only shade avaiable in this type of yarn. I don't think the boys could pull this one off. Anyway, I will be sure to post the finished product.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

It looks great to me so far! And I love the color. I didn't think about the fact that you were left-handed... no wonder it was more difficult on your own. I wouldn't have been able to switch it in my brain!

Becky said...

The continental method is flexible for left and right handers. I think the circular needles make a difference too. I heard that some knitters only use circular. We'll see if that is the path I take.