Thursday, September 27, 2007

Quicken for the Mac

Today I wanted to get the bills done and do some cleaning around this house. I did get the bills done. We just won't talk about the cleaning...

I was on a mission to get my Mac fully commissioned. I received the Macbook as a gift this summer and have enjoyed getting to know it. I love having a laptop and am becoming an Apple convert!

There were three things I was using the old PC for. One was to sync my Palm Pilot. I was not successful keeping up with two calendars, one on the PC and one on the Mac. I have a hard enough time with just one. So, I transferred all the info to iCal. The last few months, I have been just using that. I took my Palm out of my purse to see what it was like without it. I don't like it. There are times when you need to know what your calendar has on it. There are times when you just want to call that far away friend and need her number. And, there are times when you just want to make a note to yourself. I used the memo feature on the palm fairly regularly. Today, I loaded all the software and should be able to sync my Palm directly to the Mac. As luck would have it, the Palm battery is dead. It has to charge before I know if it all works or not.

Secondly, I needed to purchase and download Quicken for the Mac. That was the easy part. The "tougher" part was exporting the appropriate data files from the PC and importing them to the Mac. It took a bit of time, but it all worked out. I am now able to do my bills on my laptop! The Mac version of Quicken looks different as would be expected. I was able to reconcile our accounts and make all the necessary payments. I continue to input the data from our credit card statement as opposed to downloading the statement directly. This Mac version makes totalling like categories an easy task. I added the Quicken to my dashboard to make entries in a "dash," I guess. All in all, I am liking this Mac. It is requiring me to learn something new.

The last thing I am dependent on the old PC for is to print. I have the printer hooked up to a wireless network but am not able to access it from my Mac. I know it is probably just a setting issue, but I have run out of time for today...

Here's to Technology!

No comments: