Monday, October 15, 2007

Cupcakes

My husband loves to have dessert with his meal. He has a few bite size candy bars or cookies for dessert at lunch time. At dinner, he wants dessert, too. Preferably, he would like to have a different dessert than he had at lunch. Isn't that silly? I guess I am envious that he can have just a little something after each meal and NOT see it on his hips! Brownies are his all-time favorite. He likes the Ghiradelli mix the best. He is the master of determining when the brownies are done. They have to be just done - not too runny and not at all cakey. Back to the cupcakes and the subject of this post - I made some a few weeks ago with a cake mix, diet soda, and two egg whites. They weren't too bad. I googled it find the recipe. I plan to experiment with the diet soda a bit more. If you are adventurous, give it a shot!

These cupcakes were just made from a Pillsbury mix. Since P&G doesn't own Duncan Hines any more, I don't feel compelled to buy their brand. I did not have enough confectionary sugar on hand to make much icing. I made as much butter icing as I could. It turns out my younger son doesn't like the icing made with butter. I put the icing in a tupperware container with interchangeable nozzles on it. I am hooked. It is so easy to ice cupcakes this way. The icing was a tad thin losing some of the dollop shape on the cupcake. I was thrilled to find some Halloween muffin liners in the cupboard. They were third decoration in the house (as they are all gone). As of today, I don't have my pansies planted and nothing up for fall!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Who needs decorations when you have cupcakes??? I think I'll be baking this weekend :)