Friday, October 12, 2007

The Rosary

This weekend in our PRE class, all the new students will receive a Rosary gift from the Holy Order our priest belongs to. It is a wonderful gift. Unfortunately, I am not sure they are or will be used as much as they should be. I am going to go pick up some extra Rosaries today so everyone in the class has one. This is one of those things that seems to fall by the wayside in our house.

When my children left the parochial schools for the private schools, I tried to make Sunday night the night we prayed the Rosary together. That only worked for a few weeks. I know we did not pray it long enough to feel the impact. It is just like anything else. The more you do it, the more you feel comfortable with it. I do believe you need to relax, open to Mary, and feel the power of prayer. I hope to work the Rosary back into our weekly activity. We need to knock down the stigma that the Rosary is only something older people pray. Yes. My mom gets atleast one Rosary in a day. She even knows when it comes on EWTN if she wants to participate in the Rosary Hour.

I am in the process of printing down a "book" so the kids have a reference while praying the Rosary. I did not realize is was so lengthy. I am going to need another print cartridge soon! I hope it will be worth it. We only teach these 7th graders for a little over an hour on Sunday. Most of them should already know all these prayers. My hope is the hand-outs may ignite an interest in then and their families to say the Rosary more often. Kids this age can have a powerful impact on their parents. I wish we had time each week to work the Rosary in. There is so much interesting information in the curriculum this year. I don't know about the kids, but I am learning lots!

Thank you for the gift of Mary! And, just a quick prayer to get me moving on to other TODOs...

Imagine me singing (as we prefer to sing this instead of say it):
Holy Mary, Mother of God, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed Art Thou Among Women
And Blessed is the Fruit of They Womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for our Sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Becky, we sing a beautiful song on the Feast Day of the Holy Rosary that you reminded me of with your song. Craig and I have been trying to teach our 4th graders by just praying one decade. I admitted that I was still learning too! Even though they act like it's sooo long, when we didn't recite it last week, I noticed that everyone had brought theirs even though I told them the week before we didn't need it. And I sensed that they thought it was special. I think you don't see the fruits of teaching sometimes but just trust that later in their lives they will have that knowledge of it there and pray it themselves.

Nunnie's Attic said...

Gentle Woman. Is that what you're singing? It starts off with the Holy Mary and then into the rest of it. It's so beautiful!

I found you through Bethany and what a treat. When I was married I carried rosaries in my bouquet that were blessed by the Pope. And our church says the rosary before Mass on Sunday. It's so powerful.

Love,
Julie