Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Voice Lesson #1 - DOWN!


I did it! I guess with age it only takes little accomplishments to thrill me. My voice lesson was wonderful. I did not say my voice was wonderful, but the experience exceeded my expectations. I was pretty nervous when I walked in there. My teacher spent quite a bit of time discussing the voice essentially starting from the beginning. I sang quite a bit through college, but have only picked it back up in the last year.

We talked about stretching to relieve tension. Those notes are harder to hit if the stress of the day is settled in your body. Then, we talked about warm up exercises for the voice. I am going to have to pull out my piano stuff with all the chords. I get to re-learn all that. I got this solo book of folk songs perfect for my voice range. It comes with a CD that I can play to accompany me. We had time to start working on one. The songs are fairly simple, but the arrangements are good sounding like more than they really are.

Now, the challenge is mine to find about 30 minutes per day to practice. But, I am excited. I want to learn more and apply it to my voice. I want the confidence back when I sing. I don't know where this will take me, but I am ready for the journey.

Thanks to all of you out there who were thinking about me. La! La! La! I'll have to figure out how to record my voice to share. I will give it a few months before I subject anyone to that!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Yeah!!! I'm so happy that it went well! And so excited for you to continue! I guess because I can't carry a tune, this totally intrigues me. I wish I could hear you sing. It sounds like so much fun to learn and even the part about the stress was interesting as just speaking is more difficult during times of stress and I noticed that.

Becky said...

Thanks for the support. We will see how it goes. I still have to find my 30 minutes today. Soccer practice was just cancelled as all fields are closed. It rained lots last night. That will make it easier for me to sneak in some singing.