Thursday, October 18, 2007

Violas and Pansies

We are fortunate to live in a climate that supports some kind of flower year-round. The Begonias were dug up weeks ago as they did not fair well in the drought. Today, I picked my older son up from school. He stayed after for All-West Tennessee choir rehearsal. It was late and he was going to be late to swim practice. I surprised him with a day off from swimming. I had a busy day and the afternoon sleepies were setting in. I don't know what it is but I become a zombie about 4pm. Anyway, I mentioned planting flowers then quickly changed my mind as I was too tired. My older rose to the occassion. He said that he would do it. I don't know if he will end up a botanist, but he does enjoy the plants. He gets it from his paternal grandmother. He was pushing it to get them all in by dark. I took a break from cooking dinner to show off his work. We'll add some mulch this weekend to make it spiffy.

I am so grateful that my son did this! He will love watching them grow. The boys picked out a few purple and yellow violas for their grandparents. They both went to LSU and these are just the perfect plants for them. I hope they don't mind finding a place for them in their yard. They may even have a grandson that would help them plant them!




2 comments:

Bethany said...

Pretty... one of my favorite flowers to plant when I was a child was pansies! That's great that he loves working in the dirt... I think it is great for kids!

Becky said...

It is nice to see them throughout the winter. I probably should have planted some dusty miller to lighten it up. Oh! Well! I need to pick up a mum today.