Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pumpkin Sighting

A pumpking appeared in my dining room today. A little boy made it in art class. It has been a few weeks in the making and I have gotten updates on the progress. On the bike ride home, I had to guess what was in his backpack. I knew right away. When we got home, I went straight out back to throw the ball with the dog. The backpack was on the kitchen floor. Oops! I think he forgot about the pumpkin in the bag. Fortunately, we only needed to glue one leaf back on. The pottery was all intact. This little pumpkin has lots of character. It gets the honor of being the second fall decoration in the house. It makes me smile. I am thrilled that the boys' art classes have kilns in the room. There is something about firing clay and the surprise that results.

The plate was in my family. My grandmother had them and my mom gave each of us one to cherish. I like the charm it adds to that corner.

My first fall decoration is this Victorian cross-stitch house my sister did years ago. It greets our guests right by the front door. Last week, I changed its decor adding the wheat stalks to the piece.

I think it will be another week or so before I get any more decorations up. Enjoy these!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I love his ceramic pumpkin!!! Tell him I thought he did an excellent job! I love all the textures that are in it. At that age, sometimes anything that doesn't blow up in the kiln is really good too! (Of course that happened to me even in college!). Your grandma's plate is so pretty-- what a wonderful thing for your mom to do. And the cross stitch, after clicking on the photo, is great--love your additions!!!