Thursday, October 18, 2007

Grocery Store


The grocery store is not one of my favorite places. Years ago, I started making a weekly menu. It is somewhat detailed, but leaves room for flexibility. With practices and the boys' events, I can't always guess what we will feel like. I have learned to leave one day OPEN and one day to go out. The open day normally becomes the left over day. If we have a party to go to and need to bring a dish, I will add that to menu. My goal is to go to the grocery once a week - get out and get done! I like the Super Sticky Post-It notes that are long with lines. They are perfect for my menu. I hide it on the inside of the cabinet door for the week. My younger son and husband check the menu - almost daily - to see what's for dinner.

Until recently, I've been supplementing the grocery store with a trip to Costco. Our Costco had fruit that could not be beat. And, the larger quantities guarenteed that we would have fruit for the entire week. My last few trips to Costco resulted in an empty basket. They don't have all the berrries we were used to. I presume they are out of season. So, we are moving on to apples and oranges. We were eating berries with yogurt for breakfast, but have switched back to cereal. I had not bought cereal in a long time. I could not believe how much the price of cereal has gone up at Kroger. I made a point of grabbing some cereal at Target the last week. I guess Target can offer more of a discount. It is a regular Target store, not even one that carries the entire line of groceries.

I like to cook trying new recipes from my cookbook collection. My time today is limited. I did not get creative with the list or the recipes. The boys will be happy:) They are cautiously optimistic when they come to the dinner table and their mom is experimenting!

So, I am off to the grocery. I have about 1.5 hours to get it all done and put away. My younger son enjoys checking out the pantry and refrigerator after I go to the store. I wonder how long it will take him to figure it out today!

P. S. - I made it to the grocery and back. I even got the items unloaded and put away. The blogger wasn't permitting me to upload pictures earlier. I'll keep my fingers crossed this time XXXX!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I heard others complaining that Blogger is having problems.
I used to be better at menu planning. If your kids are more adventurous, "Saving Dinner" is a good family cookbook... it has the week's menu planned out based on the 4 seasons and gives you a grocery list. It tended to be too much food for us! I also bake my own granola cereal for Craig and I... rolled oats, coconut, almonds, etc. I don't know if it's really cheaper than the cheap cereals but it fills us up and there's no bad ingredients in it! I even made it for everyone for Christmas one year! ;)

Becky said...

The granola sounds great. Does it have honey in it? And, I have to work around the almonds. I like the Kashi cereals. The big kid loves a big bowl of Cocoa Krispies following a nice long bike ride. It amazes me!