Saturday, October 27, 2007

Race for the Cure

My husband and my younger son ran in the Race for the Cure today. We have had a week straight of rain and today the clouds cleared. It was a glorious day with a nip in the air - perfect for a morning run. This is one race we try to participate in each year. Even though breast cancer has not affected my immediate family, I know it has touched lots of lives. Every 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed. I've had my baseline mammogram and need to go this year as I passed the 40 milestone.

Anyway, the Race for the Cure is a big party. Lots of sponsors give away freebies. There is food and drink at the finish. My older son and I did not get participate because he had a morning audition (more to come in the next post.) We went to the race, hung out and got to see the other two finish.

My younger son has the knack for running. Today was a milestone day for my husband as he could no longer keep up with the little guy. This route is very hilly especially for our area. You have to run up a long hill about 3/4 of a mile before the finish. It is mentally a challenge because you want the finish line to be at the top of the hill. It doesn't work that way. You have to sprint down for quite some time before crossing the finish.

I took some before race shots. This was the first time my younger son got a timing chip. He loved that his time was recorded. In a past race, he opened our eyes to his ability. We did not have a chip which eliminated him from contention in his age group.


I was able to snap two shots right after they started. They are running down the hill they will have to eventually run back up.


Then, I got the photo at the end. My husband finished about twenty seconds behind our son. And, he finished just ahead of his senior vp. We aren't sure if that was a good career move?!?

Before the race, my husband told my younger son that he could skip soccer training if he ran a sub 26 minute 5K. He did it. Our son came in at 25:21. He was 10th in the 14 & Under category. Within that category, he was first in his age group. He just looks like he loves it when he is out there running. I hope it continues!

P.S. - Soccer training was cancelled due to all the rain we've had. Our son thinks he got off the hook. We'll have to set the record straight:)

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Yeah Adam!!!!!!!! Wow... what a weekend of good news!! He actually beat David?? I'm sure he'll remember this one...his first timed race. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor... thanks for supporting the research.